We’ve seen a new trend popping up in the baking world – painting on cakes. We’re not talking oil based paint but edible food paint.
Painting a cake means you can create designs that are really individual. There is such a wide range of colours available and so many styles you can make, we thought we’d give you a helping hand by pulling together top tips on how to make your cake look great.
- Let the cake sit overnight so you have a firm canvas to paint on the next day
- Draw the design using tracing paper first with a non toxic pencil. Then place carefully on the cake and rub gently over the details of the drawing until you create a light impression. This gives you the outline to know where to paint
- Mix your colour powders/gel with a little vodka to make the designs last well (Unlike blending with water and alcohol, it doesn’t soak into the cake and sits well on the surface)
- Use different sizes brushes, smaller and thinner brushes for details and larger ones for the background
- Make sure the cake doesn’t sit in the direct sunlight when it’s on display