Unilever Privacy Principles
Unilever takes privacy seriously. The following five principles underpin our approach to respecting your privacy:
1. We value the trust that you place in us by giving us your personal information. We will always use your personal information in a way that is fair and worthy of that trust.
2. You are entitled to clear information about how we use your personal information. We shall always be transparent with you about what information we collect, what we do with it, with whom we share it and whom you should contact if you have any concerns.
3. If you have any concerns about how we use your personal information, we will work with you to promptly resolve those concerns.
4. We will take all reasonable steps to protect your information from misuse and keep it secure.
5. We will comply with all applicable data protection laws and regulations and we will co-operate with data protection authorities. In the absence of data protection legislation, we will act in accordance with generally accepted principles governing data protection.
Last Updated: August 2012
- information collected by third party websites, platforms and/or applications (“Third Party Sites”) which we do not control;
- information collected by Third Party Sites which you access via links on Unilever Sites; or
- banners, sweepstakes and other advertisements or promotions on Third Party Sites that we may sponsor or participate in.
These Third Party Sites may have their own privacy policies and terms and conditions. We encourage you to read them before using those Third Party Sites.
If you do not agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in this way, please do not use the Unilever Sites or otherwise provide Unilever with personal information.
If we discover that we have collected information without consent from a parent or guardian where such consent should have been obtained, we will delete that information as soon as possible.
Access to certain parts of the Unilever Sites and/or eligibility to receive prizes, samples or other rewards may be limited to users over a certain age. We may use your personal information to carry out age verification checks and enforce any such age restrictions.
What information do we collect?
We may collect information from you directly when you provide us with personal information, e.g. when you register for prize draws or competitions, sign up to receive information, use applications, buy a product or service from us, fill out a survey, or make a comment or enquiry. The types of information we may collect from you directly include your:
- email address
- user name
- telephone number
- credit card or other payment information
- date of birth
- user-generated content, posts and other content you submit to Unilever Sites
- any other personal information you volunarily provide to us
- information about the type of browser you use
- details of the web pages you have viewed
- your IP address
- the hyperlinks you have clicked
- your user name, profile picture, gender, networks and any other information you choose to share when using Third Party Sites (such as when you use the “Like” functionality on Facebook or the +1 functionality on Google+)
- the websites you visited before arriving at a Unilever Site
Most internet browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can change the settings to block cookies or to alert you when cookies are being sent to your device. If you disable the cookies this may impact your experience on Unilever Sites
We may receive personal information about you from other sources if you have given permission for that information to be shared. This may include information from commercially available sources, such as public databases and data aggregators, and information from third parties. The types of personal information that we may collect from such sources include your:
- street address
- your shopping habits
- preferences and information about your lifestyle such as your hobbies and interests
- publicly available information such as user-generated content, blogs and postings, as permitted by law
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information to:
- improve our products and your experience on the Unilever Sites. Find out more.
- evaluate the use of the Unilever Sites, products and services
- analyse the effectiveness of our advertisements, competitions and promotions
- personalise your website experience, as well as to evaluate (anonymously and in the aggregate) statistics on website activity, such as what time you visited it, whether you’ve visited it before and what site referred you to it
- make the Unilever Sites easier to use and to better tailor the Unilever Sites and our products to your interests and needs
- help speed up your future activities and experience on the Unilever Sites. For example, a site can recognise that you have provided your personal information and will not request the same information a second time
- collect information about the device you are using to view the Unilever Site, such as your IP address or the type of Internet browser or operating system you are using, and link this to your personal information so as to ensure that the Unilever Sites present the best web experience for you
- to contact you regarding products and services which may be of interest to you, provided you have given us consent to do so or you have previously requested a product or service from us and the communication is relevant or related to that prior request and made within any timeframes established by applicable laws. Find out more.
- suggest products or services (including those of relevant third parties) which we think may be of interest to you
- offer you the opportunity to take part in competitions or promotions
- You can opt out of receiving communications from us at any time. Any direct marketing communications that we send to you will provide you with the information and means necessary to opt out.
- to provide you with products or services that you request from us. Find out more.
We may use your personal information:
- for the purposes of competitions or promotions that you have entered
- to send you information, products or samples that you have requested
- to respond to your queries or comments
Where we collect personal information for a specific purpose, we will not keep it for longer than is necessary to fulfil that purpose, unless we have to keep it for legitimate business or legal reasons. In order to protect information from accidental or malicious destruction, when we delete information from our services we may not immediately delete residual copies from our servers or remove information from our backup systems.
Mobile Message Services
We may make available a service through which you can receive text or other types of messages from Unilever (such as short message service, or SMS, enhanced message service, or EMS, and multimedia message service, or MMS) on your wireless or mobile device (“Mobile Message Service”). If you subscribe to one of our Mobile Message Services, you agree to receive such messages from Unilever at the address or mobile number you provide for that purpose (unless and until you have elected to opt out of receiving such messages by following the instructions in the Your privacy rights and who to contact section below).
You acknowledge and agree that the Mobile Message Service is provided via wireless systems which use radios (and other means) to transmit communications over complex networks. We do not guarantee that your use of the Mobile Message Service will be private or secure, and we are not liable to you for any lack of privacy or security you may experience. You are fully responsible for taking precautions and providing security measures best suited for your situation and intended use of the Mobile Message Service. We may also access the content of your wireless and/or mobile phone account with your carrier for the purpose of identifying and resolving technical problems and/or service-related complaints.
Who do we share your personal information with?
As a general rule, we do not share your personal information with anyone outside of the Unilever Group. However, we may share your personal information with trusted third parties. Find out more.
We may share your personal information with:
- our advertising, marketing and promotional agencies to help us deliver and analyse the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns and promotions
- third parties required to deliver a product or service to you, such as a delivery or postal service delivering a product that you have ordered
- law enforcement or government authorities where they have followed due legal process to request us to disclose the information
- third parties who wish to send you information about their products and services, but only if you have given us consent to do so
- third party providers of services, such as data processing, to Unilever
- web analytics tool providers, such as Google or Unica
We may also share your personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of the Unilever Group if we believe that disclosure of the information is necessary for legal reasons.
We may share your personal information to:
- conduct investigations into possible breaches of applicable laws
- detect, prevent and protect against fraud and any technical or security vulnerabilities
- comply with applicable laws and regulations, co-operate in any legal investigation and meet enforceable governmental requests
Unilever does not sell personal information, except to an entity to which we divest all or a portion of our business (for example, in connection with our sale of a brand), or otherwise in connection with a merger, consolidation, change in control, reorganization or liquidation of all or a portion of our business.
Where do we store your personal information?
The host servers for Unilever Sites in the European Economic Area are located in the Republic of Ireland. The host servers for all other Unilever Sites are located in the United States of America or in the Asia Pacific region (Singapore). Your personal information will be hosted in one of these regions, depending on the origin of the Unilever Site you are using or the Unilever Group company you share information with, and will be transferred and processed within that region in accordance with applicable data protection laws and regulations.
Transferring your personal information
You should be aware that many countries do not afford the same legal protection to personal information as you might enjoy in your country of origin. While your personal information is in another country, it may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities in that country in accordance with its laws. Subject to such lawful access requests, we promise that anyone processing your personal information outside your country of origin is required to implement measures to protect it and is only entitled to process it in accordance with Unilever’s instructions.
Safeguarding your personal information
We take all reasonable precautions to keep your personal information secure and require any third parties that handle or process your personal information for us to do the same. Access to your personal information is restricted to prevent unauthorised access, modification or misuse and is only permitted among our employees and agents on a need-to-know basis.
Your privacy rights and who to contact
You have the right to tell us if you:
- don't want to be contacted in the future by us
- would like a copy of the personal information which we hold about you
- would like us to correct, update or delete your personal information in our records
- wish to report any misuse of your personal information
To assist us in dealing with your request, please provide your full name and details.
Other Unilever privacy policies
Stork's Cake and Bake Show Twitter Competition Terms and Conditions
1. The promotion is open to residents of the UK and Republic of Ireland aged 18 or over except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion.
2. To enter, repost the following tweet from @bakewithstork "RT & Follow by 5pm today for a chance to win a pair of @CakeandBakeShow tickets in our #CakeandBake comp #AD T’s&C’s: http://bit.ly/YvNqnP" including the hashtag #AD follow @bakewithstork on Twitter. For the avoidance of doubt, the inclusion of the hashtag #AD is mandatory and any entries which are submitted without the hashtag #AD will be disqualified.
3. No applications from agents, third parties, organised groups or applications automatically generated by computer will be accepted. No incomplete or corrupted entries will be accepted. Entries will only be accepted if they comply with all entry instructions.
4. Closing time for receipt of entries is 5pm GMT 22/03/2013
5. Promotion limited to one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
6. Responsibility is not accepted for entries lost, damaged or delayed as a result of any network, computer hardware or software failure of any kind. Proof of sending will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
7. Prize: 2 tickets to The Cake and Bake Show (Manchester). Two pairs available, one pair per winner. Tickets ONLY - this does not include travel or accommodation Tickets are valid for one day over the weekend of the 5th to the 7th April. One admission per ticket.
8. All prizes will be subject to any additional terms and conditions of the supplier of the prize to the Promoter.
9. The Promoter shall not be liable for any loss, damage or consequential damage of any nature in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise caused by acceptance of the terms and conditions or in connection with the prize (to the extent permissible by law).
10. One valid entry drawn at random in the presence of an independent adjudicator from all the entries received by the Closing Date will win the prize. In the event of any dispute the decision of the Promoter is final. In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for an alternative of equal or greater value. No correspondence will be entered into.
11. The winner will be notified by Twitter Direct Message within 2 days of the closing date. The winner must claim their prize within 5 days of the notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and the Promoter reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with the promotion rules.
12. The winner’s details (name and county) will be made available on request to those writing to Stork #CakeandBake Competition, Unilever UK Limited, Unilever House, Springfield Drive, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7GR within ten weeks after the published closing date, enclosing a stamped SAE.
13. The winner may be required to participate in publicity arising from this promotion.
14. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Twitter. You are providing information to the Promoter and not to Twitter.
15. By entering the promotion, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and consent to the transfer of their personal data to the Data Controller for the purposes of the administration of this promotion and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented. All entry instructions form part of the rules.
16. As concerns UK residents, these terms and conditions and any issues or disputes which may arise out of or in connection with these terms and conditions (whether such disputes or issues are contractual or non-contractual in nature, such as claims in tort, for breach of statute or regulation or otherwise) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Entrants hereby irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any such dispute or issues. As concerns Republic of Ireland residents, these terms and conditions shall be governed by Irish law and the courts of Republic of Ireland shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Promoter and Data Controller: Unilever UK Limited, Unilever House, Springfield Drive, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7GR. (Please do not send entries to this address.)