This mouth-watering Apple and Cinnamon Charlotte is a refined version of the classic apple cake recipe and is a great way of using leftover bread . In this instance we’ve used a teaspoon of cinnamon , but you could also try adding a handful of berries or raisins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease the inside of a 1.6 litre Pyrex dish with plenty of Stork and set aside. Put the apple, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest into a saucepan then bring to a simmer. Cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the apple just starts to soften. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Brush the slices of bread on both sides with the melted Stork and use to line the Pyrex dish, making sure that the bread overlaps and that there are no gaps.
- Spoon the apple mixture inside and seal with two more slices of spread bread. Place on a baking tray and lay an ovenproof plate or small baking tray on top to weigh down the Charlotte.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the plate then bake for a further 10 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and carefully turn out onto a serving plate.
- Serve with vanilla custard or fresh cream.
- Temperature: 180 oC
- Baking time:
- Serves: 5