- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease three – 9x 2-inch round baking pans. Line the bottoms with parchment.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, melted Stork, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook, without stirring, until mixture is dark amber.
- Remove from heat, and carefully pour in cream (mixture will spatter); stir until smooth. Return to heat and cook until a candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees.
- Pour caramel into a medium bowl, stir in coarse salt, and let cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in Stork, 1 tablespoon at a time. Let cool completely until thickened.
- In microwavable jug, heat Elmlea cream for 2 minutes until steaming. Pour over chocolate in the blender. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir to incorporate. Let set until thick at room temperature
- Trim tops of cakes to make them flat. Transfer one layer to a serving platter, pipe a ring of ganache around the edge and spread caramel In the centre. Top with second cake.
- Generously coat the cake with the ganache in a swirling motion, sprinkle with Maldon salt. Decorate with chocolate shaving if desired and treats.
- Serves: 16