Union Jack Cake
A wonderful British classic made with a super light and fluffy sponge, with fresh cream, fresh berries and filled with light buttercream. Happy 90th Birthday your Majesty!
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time1 hour 0 minutes
- Servings12 portions
- 200g Stork with Butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 3 Medium Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Stork with Butter
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 200ml Elmlea double
- Fresh Berries; Strawberries, Raspberries and Blueberries
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Start by pre heating the oven to 150C, a low oven temperature for this recipe will ensure an even rise on your bake and a light colour. Line a large rectangular baking tray with foil or baking parchment.
- Measure your Stork with Butter in a large bowl, and whisk until lighter in colour and fluffier in texture. Add the Caster Sugar and cream together.
- Whisk your eggs in a separate large bowl until light and bubbly.
- Add the eggs to your butter and sugar mixture. Add the vanilla and milk, then mix on a high speed until you have a thin cake batter. If your mixture seems to have separated at this point, not to worry, itâs completely normal and will come together once your flour has been added.
- Pour in the flour and mix a final time until you have a beautiful light cake batter ready to bake.
- Spoon onto your lined baking tray and spread out right to the edges, you can drop the tray onto your work surface a few times to release any air bubbles in the mixture. Bake in the middle of the oven for apron 30 minutes, or a cake tester comes out clean.
- Once golden brown, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To make your buttercream filling, whisk the 150g Stork with Butter until light in colour, then add the icing sugar and vanilla essence and mix until creamy. The buttercream should be soft and spreadable.
- For the topping, pour your double cream into a large bowl, and whisk using a hand mixer or stand mixer until the cream forms soft peaks and can be spooned onto your cake without running over the edges. This will take a good few minutes if you are whisking by hand.
- Cut your rectangle sponge in half, creating two smaller cakes.
- Then spread the buttercream on top of one cake, spreading it out right to the edges. Place the second cake on top of the buttercream, and press down gently securing in place.
- Top the second layer with fresh cream, then score to help you arrange your berries in a Union Jack Shape as shown in the photo.
- Now simply slice, serve and enjoy! If not eating your cake straight away, then store in the fridge.