Great British Bake Off winner Edd Kimber shares his top tips for creating delicious Easter bakes!
- When making breads (including this Hot Cross Bun recipe) make sure the dough is properly kneaded and proved. Knead, by hand, for a good ten minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic, and when proving test the dough is ready by lightly pressing with a floured finger. If the dough slowly springs back it is ready, if it springs back immediately it needs to be proved longer.
- Stork makes wonderful all-in-one cakes, and because it stays soft when chilled you can whip up a Victoria sponge mixture in minutes, using it straight from the fridge.
- Never bake with cold eggs, whilst they are easier to separate cold, it is harder to whisk them up and they can cause a cake batter to split.
- To test your oven is accurate, use an oven thermometer. Most ovens tend to be off a little meaning your recipe can bake differently than the recipe states, whilst if you know the real temperature of your oven you can bake more accurately.
- Invest in a set of electric scales, they are cheap but can make a big difference to your baking, making it more accurate.