Want to create the perfect ruffle style icing decoration? Simply follow The Boy Who Bakes’ top tips on piping like a pro.
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time45 minutes
- Servings15 portions
- 250g Stork with Butter, melted
- 200ml buttermilk
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 350g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
(you may have more than you need but the piped decoration uses more)
- 350g Stork with butter
- 800g icing sugar
- 250g dulce de leche (canned caramel)
- Pinch of flaked sea salt
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- To make the cake place the melted Stork with Butter into a large bowl and whisk in the cocoa powder, followed by the buttermilk, sugar and eggs - mixing until smooth.
- Sieve in the flour and baking soda and then briefly whisk the batter until smooth and lump free. Pour the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven, set to 180C (160C fan), and bake for about 30 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- To make the frosting beat the Stork with Butter and icing sugar together until smooth and combined. Add the dulce de leche and the sea salt and beat to combine.
- To assemble the cake, use a serrated knife to cut each cake layer in half then assemble the layers on a cake stand, with a small amount of frosting between each layer. Coat the outside of the cake in a very thin layer of frosting and set in the fridge for 30 minutes to set. Then choose your favourite icing technique below.
- Tip - Rosette icing: - To create a rosette style decoration add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip and pipe rows of rosettes all over the cake, piping small rosettes into any gaps that exist.
- Tip - Ruffle icing: - To create a ruffle style decoration, add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a closed star tip. With the tip pointing down, resting against the side of the cake, pipe the frosting as you wiggle side to side, working your way up the cake. Repeat the process on the top of the cake.
- Tip - Simple swirl icing: - To create a simple swirl decoration spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake with a spatula and with the cake sat on a turntable hold a spatula or a butter knife against the side of the cake as you steadily turn the turntable. As the table spins, slowly move the spatula up the cake. Repeat this on top of the cake.