Modern Fruit Cake
- Cooking time1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings12 portions
- 450g mixed dried fruit (e.g. raisins, currants, dates, cranberries, figs and mangoes)
- 150 grams Stork baking block
- 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100g golden syrup
- 225g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon each of mixed spice and ground cinnamon
- 2 medium eggs
- 50g icing sugar + extra for dusting
- 200g fresh low fat cream cheese
- 1 dessertspoon fresh lemon juice
- deep round cake tin 20 cm (greased and base lined with baking paper), brush, plastic spatula, aluminium foil
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 150°C, 140°C fan oven, Gas mark 2.
- Chop the larger fruit into small pieces.
- Heat the Stork, milk, syrup and fruit in a saucepan, stirring until the Stork and syrup have melted. Infuse the mixture over a low heat for 5 minutes (do not boil). Cool until the mixture is lukewarm.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and cinnamon into a bowl. Stir in the eggs and the fruit mixture using a hand mixer (or wooden spoon).
- Fill the prepared cake tin with the batter and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour 15minutes or until cooked. After 1 hour cover the cake with tin foil (to avoid it becoming too dark). Leave the baked cake in the cake tin for about 20 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool.
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Cover the cake with the icing . Dust with icing sugar. Cut the cake into 10 slices.