Chocolate Layer Cake with Fruits
This chocolate layer cake is a real crowd pleaser. It looks really impressive but is surprisingly simple to make.
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time45 minutes
- Servings16 portions
- 125g Stork
- 30g cocoa powder
- 150ml / 1.5 dl water
- 250g sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 200g plain / all-purpose flour
- 70g corn flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar / 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g frozen red berries
- fresh strawberries and raspberries
- 200g cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 200ml / 2dl Elmlea double
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line 3 round cake tins (23cm / 9 inches).
- Blend the cocoa powder with the hot water and set aside. Separate the eggs.
- Whisk the sugar with the egg yolks in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the Stork and beat the mixture once again until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, corn flour, bicarbonate and the baking powder and fold into the mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites with the vanilla until theyâre stiff and fold into the batter gently.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture into one of the cake tins.
- Add the cocoa to the remaining batter, mix well and pour half of the mixture into the second tin.
- Add half of the frozen red berries to the leftover mixture and pour the remaining mix into the third tin.
- Put in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean (this means the cake is cooked).
- Once the cakes are cooked, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling whisk the cream cheese with the sugar, the lemon zest and the lemon juice. In a separate bowl whip the Elmlea until well thickened and combine with the cream cheese mixture.
- To layer the cake start with the chocolate cake with the berries, spread a layer of the cream cheese filling. The second layer should be the plain sponge, add another layer of filling and sprinkle the remaining berries. On the top put the chocolate cake and cover the entire cake with the remaining cream cheese. Garnish with strawberries and raspberries.