Ombre Berry Cake
This berry ombre cake recipe makes for a real showstopper. The ombre is all in the icing – with mixed berry jam swirled into buttercream, smoothed over a gorgeous vanilla sponge with a jammy fruity filling.
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time45 minutes
- Servings16 portions
- 225 g Stork with Butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract / 1 vanilla pod
- 225 g self raising flour, sieved / 240 g flour + 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 225g Stork with Butter
- 300 g icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons seedless raspberry or mixed berry jam
- 200g mixed berry jam
- 100g fresh berries
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Mix Stork with butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs – one by one and add some vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and mix until smooth.
- Divide the cake mix between 2 x 20cm greased and lined cake tins and bake in preheated oven 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4 for 35-40 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place one cake onto a serving platter and spread 2 tablespoons of the jam on top. Place second cake on top.
- Now, for the icing: mix the Stork with butter with icing sugar until fluffy. Add a teaspoon of jam for a little colour.
- Use a spatula to spread the icing on top of the cake. Spread more icing on the side of the cake in a downward motion, until you have covered ¼ of its height.
- Divide the rest of the icing into two bowls. Add jam into each of the bowls, but in two different proportions so that you get two shades of cream: a lighter and a darker one. Carry on decorating the pie, covering each ¼ of its height using a different shade.
- Gently smooth the top and sides with a spatula. Decorate the cake with blended berry jam and with fresh berries.