Runner up in 2011’s Great British Bake Off, Ruth Clemens’ Rainbow Speckled Cake is sure to catch people’s eyes. Made with vanilla cakes and frosting, it’s so bright and colourful it screams delicious sunshine fun!
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time45 minutes
- Servings14 portions
- 300 grams Stork
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs, large
- 300g self-raising flour
- 275 grams Stork
- 600g icing sugar
- Gel food colouring in rainbow shades
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Cream together the Stork and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract followed by the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Fold in the flour until evenly combined.
- Split the mixture between 3 x 7” greased and base lined sandwich tins.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until springy to the touch and a skewer when inserted in the centre comes away clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make the frosting beat together the Stork and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Trim the cooled cakes level with a sharp knife and sandwich them together with a layer of frosting.
- Cover the whole cake with the remaining frosting.
- Dip the toothbrush in a little water and shake off the excess. Add a drop of gel food colour to the brush and flick the bristles to splatter the cake – aim for the base at the side of the cake. Work around the cake using the colours of the rainbow from red to purple washing the brush in between colours.
- Trim with ribbon and add a rainbow bunting topper. Serve.