Easter caramel chocolate fudge cake
Indulge this Easter with this delicious Stork caramel chocolate fudge cake!
- Prep time1 hour
- Servings16 portions
- 125 millilitres Stork melted
- 250 grams plain flour
- 450 grams sugar
- 75 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 250 millilitres semi-skimmed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 250 millilitres boiling water
- 200 grams granulated sugar
- 15 grams light corn syrup
- 120 millilitres Elmlea double light
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 115 grams Stork
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 450 grams milk chocolate
- 675 millilitres Elmlea Double Light
- Garnishes and toppings
- plain flapjack broken into pieces
- assorted chocolates
|Energy (kcal)||564 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2358 kJ|
|Protein (g)||6.7 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||92.3 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||89.3 g|
|Sugar (g)||75.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.9 g|
|Fat (g)||18.9 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||11.2 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||4.7 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||3.9 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.8 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||33 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||438 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.09 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||128 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||129 mg|
|Iron (mg)||2.15 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||233 mg|
- To make the cake: Preheat oven to 180C. Grease three 9x 2-inch round baking pans. Line the bottoms with parchment.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and instant coffee to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, melted Stork, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter until well combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- To make the caramel: Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook, without stirring, until mixture is dark amber.
- Remove from heat, and carefully pour in cream (mixture will spatter); stir until smooth. Return to heat and cook until a candy thermometer reaches 238 degrees.
- Pour caramel into a medium bowl, stir in coarse salt, and let cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in Stork, 1 tablespoon at a time. Let cool completely until thickened.
- To make the ganache In microwavable jug, heat Elmlea cream for 2 minutes until steaming. Pour over chocolate in the blender. Let sit for 5 minutes then stir to incorporate. Let set until thick at room temperature
- Assembly: Trim tops of cakes to make them flat. Transfer one layer to a serving platter, pipe a ring of ganache around the edge and spread caramel in the centre.Top with second cake.
- Generously coat the cake with the ganache in a swirling motion, sprinkle with Maldon salt. Decorate with brownies, assorted chocolates, flapjacks and chocolate shaving if desired.