Raspberry Ripple Battenberg
Wow guests with Ruth Clemens' deliciously pink Raspberry Ripple Battenberg recipe. A fun spin on a classic, this tasty treat uses fresh raspberries and scrummy vanilla extract – and it’s perfect with a nice warm cuppa.
- Cooking time35 minutes
- Prep time45 minutes
- Servings12 portions
- 175g Stork with Butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g fresh raspberries
- A few drops of pink food colouring
- 100g seedless raspberry jam
- 400g ready to roll icing, pink
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Line an 8” square tin with non-stick baking paper. Pleat the paper in the centre to form a divide in the middle of the tin. Cream together the Stork with Butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract followed by the eggs one at a time beating well after each. Fold in the flour until well combined.
- Transfer the cake mixture to the prepared tin, splitting it equally either side of the divide.
- Crush the fresh raspberries through a sieve to make a raspberry puree and discard the seeds. Stir through a couple of drops of pink food colouring so the puree is a vibrant red/pink.
- Using a spoon create hollows in the cake mixture in one section of the tin. Spoon in the raspberry puree and swirl through the mixture using a skewer. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until springy to the touch and a skewer when inserted comes away clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- Once the cakes have cooled trim the top and edges of each using a sharp serrated knife. Divide each in half lengthways to leave you with 4 equal sized lengths of cake – 2 vanilla and 2 raspberry ripple. Spread each piece of cake on all four sides with raspberry jam and assemble alternating the vanilla and raspberry ripple portions.
- Roll out the pink ready to roll icing on your work surface, lightly dusting with icing sugar to prevent it from sticking. Roll it out into a rectangle slightly longer than the length of the cake and wide enough to wrap around the cake completely.
- Set the cake into the centre of the icing, wrap around the cake pinching together the two edges to seal.
- Turn the cake over so that the seam sits beneath and using a sharp knife, trim the ends neatly. Serve.