Light and fluffy, these delicate butterfly cakes from The Boy Who Bakes are easy to make and simply delicious to eat!
- Cooking time
- Prep time
- Servings12 portions
- 200g Stork with butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp coconut flavouring (optional)
- Juice from 4 passion fruits
- 200g Elmlea double
- 25g icing sugar
- Juice and seeds from 2 passion fruits
- 4 heaped tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 12 fresh raspberries
- 50g white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled plus extra for decoration
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Place all the cake ingredients (except the passion fruit) into a large bowl and use an electric mixer or wooden spoon to mix gently until smooth and evenly combined. (If you want to make raspberry ripple cakes omit the coconut and fold in the raspberry jam, if making the white chocolate you can either omit the coconut or leave it in).
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin wrappers set into a muffin tin and bake in a preheated oven set to 180C (160C fan oven) for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned, a skewer inserted into the sponges will come out clean. Allow the cakes to cool fully before continuing.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut out the centre of each cake, then cut these pieces in half to form the butterfly wings.
- Brush the cakes with the juice from the passion fruits, allowing it to soak into the sponge. (If making either of the variations ignore this step).
- Whisk the cream and icing sugar together until soft peaks form then add the passion fruit (reserving a little for decoration) and fold to combine. Spoon the cream into the cakes and decorate with butterfly wings. (If making the raspberry ripple fold in the raspberry jam instead, if making the white chocolate very loosely whisk the cream before folding in the white chocolate).
- Finish by dusting with a little icing sugar and topping each cake with a little of the reserved passion fruit and a little extra coconut. (If making the raspberry ripple decorate with fresh raspberries, if making the white chocolate decorate with some grated white chocolate).