Caribbean Style Christmas Cake
- Cooking time3 hour
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings20 portions
- To soak
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 70g (2 ½ oz) glace cherries, halved
- 70g (2 ½ oz) stem ginger, chopped
- 450g (1 lb) mixed dried fruit e.g currants, sultanas, raisins
- 100g (3 ½ oz) prunes, chopped
- 150g (5 oz) tropical fruit mix
- 300ml dark rum
- Cake mix
- 175 grams Stork baking block
- 175g (6 oz) muscovado sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons black treacle
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour, sieved together with
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice, and
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g (3 ½ oz) whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 450g (1 lb) marzipan
- Sieved apricot jam
- 500g pack regalice
- 1 x 23cm (9 inch) round silver board
- Fruits to caramelise e.g. satsumas, redcurrants, grapes, cape gooseberries
- 250g granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- A week before baking the cake, place all the soak ingredients in a Tupperware container. Mix well, cover and leave for one week, shaking the container each day.
- Place Stork and sugar in a large bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one by one with the treacle. Finally fold in flour, spices, nuts and the soaked fruits.
- Place in a greased and double lined 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin. Smooth top with back of a wet metal spoon.
- Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven 150°C, 140°C fan, Gas mark 2. Look at cake after first 2 ½ hours, then at regular ½ hourly intervals until cooked. Allow to cool before removing from tin.
- To Cover with Marzipan: Brush the cake with apricot jam. Roll out the marzipan, with icing sugar to prevent sticking, into a circle large enough to cover the cake. Place over the cake and smooth over the top and sides. Trim edges.
- Allow marzipan to dry 48 hours before icing.
- Knead the white icing on a work surface dusted with icing sugar until soft and pliable. Roll out icing about 7.5cm (3 inches) larger all round than the top of the cake, place over cake and smooth over evenly until the cake is completely covered. Trim icing at bottom of cake.
- Dissolve the granulated sugar in the water over a low heat until dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook until the sugar turns a golden caramel colour. Dip fruits into the caramel and leave on baking parchment to cool.
- Decorate cake with caramelised fruits, bayleaves and tie a ribbon round if liked.