Hear little ones ‘roar’ for The Boy Who Bakes’ brilliant Dinosaur Cake, decorated with green butter icing scales and orange flavoured spikes.
- Cooking time50 minutes
- Prep time45 minutes
- Servings15 portions
- 300g Stork with butter
- 450g self-raising flour
- 300g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp milk
- 75g large bright, colourful sprinkles
- 200g Stork with butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 75g white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- About 1-2 tsp green gel food colouring (don’t use water based colourings)
- Two small sweets for eyes
- Orange sugarpaste cut into triangles
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- To make the cakes place all of the ingredients, except the sprinkles, into a large bowl and using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon to mix together until smooth and combined.
- Add the sprinkles and mix briefly just to combine evenly. Pour the batter into two 8-inch round cake pans greased and lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven, set to 180C (160C fan), and bake for about 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Using a large serrated knife trim any dome from the cakes and then slice the first layer in half through the middle. Cut out the template pieces and use as a guide to cut out each piece of cake (the dotted lines should also be cut and the shaded pieces discarded).
- Assemble the pieces as in the picture, securing the head pieces to the body with a couple of toothpicks.
- To make the frosting beat together the Stork with butter and icing sugar until smooth and combined. Add the melted chocolate and the food colouring beating together until the frosting is one uniform green colour.
- Spread a thin layer of the frosting all over the cake, using it as glue to stick all the small pieces together and to the body.
- Place the remaining frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small closed star tip and pipe small peaks of buttercream all over the dinosaur.
- Decorate the cake with a pair of sweets for eyes and some orange sugarpaste, which has been cut into triangles, pressed along the spine of the dinosaur to create the scales.