Chocolate Easter Cake
- Cooking time35 minutes
- Prep time1 hour 0 minutes
- Servings12 portions
- 1 x 8” Basic Chocolate Cake baked in 2 tins.
- 165g of Stork with butter
- 220 ml of semi-skimmed milk
- 330g of caster sugar
- 260g of plain flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate (or soda)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 70 g of cocoa powder
- 200g Stork, tub
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
- 175g white chocolate, melted
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 200ml double cream
- 125g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Selection of dark and white chocolate cigarillos
- Chocolate Easter Bunnies
- Crispy Shell Chocolate Eggs (Mini Eggs)
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Mix the milk and lemon juice in a jug. Put aside.
- Place Stork and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. (approx 1 ½ min with electric hand mixer).
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the remaining flour with the bicarbonate and cocoa powder and fold in until the mixture is well blended.
- Add the milk to the dough and mix until you have a smooth mixture.
- Place the dough in 2x20m (8 inch) greased and lined round cake tin. Bake on middle shelf of oven 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas 4 for about 35 minutes.
- Prepare the icing. Beat together the Stork with the orange zest and orange extract. Add the sifted icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the melted white chocolate and beat again until the mixture is even.
- Trim the tops of the chocolate cakes level using a sharp serrated knife.
- Set the base layer onto a serving plate or cake board. Sandwich the layers with the icing filling.
- Using a palette knife coat the sides and top of the cake with the remaining icing working it as smoothly as possible. When you have a nice even coating warm the palette knife in a jug of hot water, dry and use to smooth the icing even further. Place the cake in the fridge to firm.
- To make the ganache place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Warm the cream in a pan until just below boiling point. Pour over the chocolate and allow to stand for 2 minutes before stirring to a smooth glossy ganache.
- Pour the ganache onto the top of the cake, spread evenly over the top using a spatula or palette knife, gently easing the ganache over the edge in places to create the drizzled effect.
- Decorate the top with chocolate cigarillos, chocolate Easter bunnies and crisp shell chocolate eggs.