Gluten Free Zesty Lemon Celebration Cake
Discover our Gluten Free Zesty Lemon Sponge Cake, a beautifully light and fluffy cake with creamy icing and a zing of lemon.
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings16 portions
- 225g (8 oz) Stork with butter
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 225g (8 oz) gluten free self-raising flour, sieved
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 tbsps milk
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Stork
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- A few silver balls
- Crystallized lemon: 1 lemon, 40g caster sugar
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Place Stork and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. (approx 1 ½ mins with electric hand mixer).
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour with the last egg to prevent curdling.
- Fold in the remaining flour,lemon zest and milk with a metal spoon or spatula.
- Place in 2 x 20cm (8 inch) greased and lined sandwich cake tins.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas 4 for 30 - 35 minutes. Cool on wire tray.
- Place icing ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth.
- Decoration: cut lemon peel in long strands, place in saucepan with sugar and 100ml water over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil then simmer for 10 mins. Spread over baking parchment and leave 5 mins to set.
- Sandwich cake together with 1/3 icing and the lemon curd. Spread next third on top and use remaining icing to pipe drops with a large plain nozzle around the edge of the cake.
- Decorate with silver balls and the crystallized lemon.