Zesty Lemon Celebration Cake
Discover our Zesty Lemon Sponge Cake, a beautifully light and fluffy cake with creamy icing and a zing of lemon.
- Cooking time35 minutes
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings16 portions
- 225 grams Stork
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar
- 100 grams Stork
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Filling and decoration
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- A few silver balls
- Crystallized lemon: 1 lemon, 40g caster sugar
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Place Stork and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. (approx 1 ½ min with electric hand mixer).
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour with the last egg to prevent curdling.
- Fold in the remaining flour and lemon zest with a metal spoon or spatula.
- Place the dough in 2 x 20cm (8 inch) greased and lined sandwich cake tins.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas 4 for 30 - 35 minutes. Cool on wire tray.
- Place icing ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth.
- Decoration: cut lemon peel in long strands, place in saucepan with sugar and 100ml water over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil then simmer for 10 mins. Spread over baking parchment and leave 5 mins to set.
- Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil then simmer for 10 mins. Spread over baking parchment and leave 5 mins to set.
- Sandwich cake together with 1/3 icing and the lemon curd.
- Spread next third on top and use remaining icing to pipe drops with a large plain nozzle around the edge of the cake.
- Decorate with silver balls and the crystallized lemon.