Learn how to make a boat cake for a special birthday. A fluffy sponge with a jam centre shaped into a sail boat!
- Cooking time25 minutes
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings12 portions
- 250g Stork with Butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsps strawberry jam
- 200g light blue ready to roll icing
- Skewer, paper and scissors
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 160c (fan)/180c/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease 2 x 8â sandwich cake tins well and line the bases with a circle of non-stick baking paper.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat together until the cake mixture is even and well combined.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and springy to the touch.
- Place the cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool fully.
- Sandwich together the cakes with half of the jam. Spread the remaining jam onto the top of the cake.
- Roll out a circle of light blue ready to roll icing on the work surface very lightly dusted with icing sugar â slightly larger than the top of the cake. Lift it into position on the top of the cake. Allow the extra to hang over the side of the cake and shape it into ripples gently with your fingertips.
- Cut out simple shapes for the boat and sails and secure to a skewer. Insert into the centre of the cake.