Bake these delicious biscuits for the perfect finishing touch to the Winter Wonderland cake (or just eat them!)
Place the treacle, syrup, spices and water in a saucepan and heat until bubbling and sugar has dissolved.
- Take off the heat and add the Stork. Stir until melted.
- Sieve the flour with the bicarb and add to the pan. Mix to a smooth dough. Place dough in a mixing bowl lined with cling film. Chill for 30-40 mins until cold.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to a thickness of roughly 4mm. Use a sharp knife to cut out the houses at differing heights and widths e.g. heights of 7.5-10cm (3-4 in) and widths of 3.75-7.5cm (1½ -3 in).Have fun with different types of houses e.g. chalet, townhouses etc. Cut the windows out completely for 5 houses if using to sit on the top of the cake
- Cover baking sheets with baking parchment and arrange houses with a small 1cm gap so they don’t run into each other.
- Bake in centre of preheated oven 190°C, 170°C fan, Gas mark 5 for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits start to turn brown
- Whilst still warm, use a sharp knife to trim the edges so that the vertical lines are straight and the biscuits line up beautifully. Cool.
- To decorate, roll out the sugar paste to a thickness of 1-2 mm. Cut out doors and windows and use the royal icing to attach to the biscuits. Then use royal icing to pipe in all the details: railings, icicles, snowflakes, let your imagination run wild!
- Use sugar pearls and sprinkles to add texture but sprinkle them whilst the icing is still wet.
- Temperature: 170 oC
- Baking time:
- Serves: 20