Bunny's Carrot Patch Cake
You'll know it's Easter with our showstopper Bunny's Carrot Patch Cake: featuring a cute bunny poking out of a popcorn mound, all atop a delicious carrot cake.
- Cooking time
- Prep time
- Servings1 portions
- 450g Stork, + extra for greasing
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 230g light brown muscovado sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 satsuma or mandarin, plus strips to decorate
- 100g pecans, halved
- 260g carrots, coarsely grated
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Pre-made buttercream icing
- 300g sugar
- 100g butter
- 200g strawberries
- 150g Popcorn
- 250g Orange chocolate coloured melts
- Pink + white fondant icing
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease 3 x18cm loose-bottomed round cake tin and line the base with baking paper. In one bowl beat Flora until fluffy, add eggs. Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the sugar, zest, pecans and grated carrots, then stir until well combined. Fold wet and dry ingredients together.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack, leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool completely.
- To make the caramel, heat sugar in a pan until it begins to melt, when the edges caramelise, shake the pan to redistribute the sugar then when completely melted, add a knob of butter and stir through. Shake over the popcorn and stir to coat.
- When cakes are cool, level, and sandwich some buttercream icing and caramel sauce in between all layers. Stack so you have 3 layers of cake and spread on a crumb coat. Freeze for 15 mins.
- Spread on another layer of buttercream and assemble stack of popcorn on top of cake leaving a space for bunny legs and tail to pop out.
- Drizzle caramel sauce down the stack of popcorn. Dot "carrots" on the stack and down the side of the cake. Pop the bunny legs and tail on the top.
- To make the "carrots", heat the orange coloured melts over a bain marie until melted then dip the strawberries, holding onto the stalk, place onto lined baking tray. To make bunny, roll fondant icing into legs and tail shapes, stick together with a little water. Assemble the popcorn around bunny into a stack.