Gooseberry Meringue Pie
- Cooking time15 minutes
- Prep time30 minutes
- Servings6 portions
- 175g (6oz) plain flour, sieved
- 85g (3oz) Stork packet
- 1½ tablespoons water
- 450g (1lb) gooseberries, topped and tailed
- 1½ -2 tablespoons of water
- 55g (2oz) caster sugar
- 25g (1oz) cornflour
- 25g (1oz) Stork packet
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 2 medium egg whites
- 115g (4oz) caster sugar
|Energy (kcal)||0 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||0 kJ|
|Protein (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||0.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.0 g|
|Fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||0 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.00 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||0 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||0 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.00 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||0 mg|
- Start by preheating your oven to 200°C, 400°F or gas mark 6.
- Then sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the Stork and rub together into a fine breadcrumby mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cold water and mix together into a firm dough.
- Roll the pastry out and line an 8 â 9 inch flan dish with it.
- Place baking paper on top of the pastry, fill with baking beans, and bake for 15 â 20 minutes.
- For the filling: Pop the gooseberries, water and sugar into a large pan, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the juices and leave to cool.
- Top up the gooseberry juice with water to 300ml, and gradually blend in the cornflour.
- Put it onto the hob, add the Stork, and stirring continually, bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 â 3 minutes until smooth, and leave to cool slightly.
- Beat in the egg yolks, stir in the gooseberries and pour into the baked flan case.
- For the meringue: Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and stand in peaks, then whisk in the sugar.
- Pile it over the gooseberry mixture and pop the pie in the oven for 10 â 15 minutes until golden brown.