- For this cake I use electric stand mixer, but a bowl and whisk or wooden spoon is fine too.
- Cream the sugar, eggs and lemon zest in the bowl.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and mix.
- Pour in the semi skimmed milk and vanilla, combine well.
- Add the melted Stork and mix.
- When well mixed pour the mixture into the mini loaf cases.
- Place them on a baking tray and bake at 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas mark 4 for approx. 30 minutes, until golden.
For the syrup:
- Heat the sugar and lemon juice on the hob in a non stick pan for about 7 minutes; bring to the boil over a low heat. It will thicken and become a light syrup.
- With a cocktail stick, pierce 5 holes in the top of the loaf cakes and spoon some of the syrup over each loaf cake. The more syrup you put on the stronger the lemony flavour. I think that when you have a lemon cake, you really need to taste the flavour and these are little gems.
You can find Carmela's recipe on the World Baking Day website here
- Temperature: 170 oC
- Baking time:
- Serves: 10